Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center (SGRMC) is excited to be partnering with the Georgia HEART Hospital Program to implement this important Rural Hospital Tax Credit (RHTC) program.
Georgia taxpayers can receive a state income tax CREDIT for 100% of the amount they contribute to SGRMC (up to the limits set forth below). Because it is a credit, not a donation, there is no out-of-pocket expense to contributors. Credit dollars are put to work right here in Cuthbert, where enhancements are made to hospital equipment and services that expand the level of healthcare we’re able to provide to the community.
How much can you contribute for a tax credit?
If you pay Georgia income taxes, you are eligible to receive a tax credit for contributing to Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center as follows:
• Individual Filer – 100% of the amount contributed, up to a limit of $5,000
• Married Filing Jointly – 100% of the amount contributed, up to a limit of $10,000
• Pass-Through Entity – 100% of the amount contributed, up to a limit of $10,000, so long as they would have paid Georgia income tax in that amount on their share of taxable income from the pass-through entity
• C-Corporation or Trust – 100% of the amount contributed or 75% of your Georgia income tax liability, whichever is less
• After June 30 of each year, for as long as a portion of the $60 million annual cap on rural hospital tax credits is available, individual taxpayers may make unlimited contributions for a corresponding 100% Georgia income tax credit.
- On or before May 15 of each year through June 30, individual taxpayers will be able to ‘make a HEART Appointment’ on the Georgia HEART website to authorize Georgia HEART to submit their post-June 30 tax credit pre-approval forms to the DOR
How do you sign up to contribute?
- Complete and submit your 2019 HEART Tax Credit Form at www.georgiaheart.org.
- Georgia HEART will submit your tax credit pre-approval form on your behalf to the GA DOR in the order in which it is received.
- Within 60 days of receiving DOR tax credit pre-approval, send a check made payable to Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center to Georgia HEART for deposit into the hospital’s account.
- Georgia HEART will send you instructions on how to file your contribution confirmation with DOR.
- You will claim the credit when you file your 2019 tax return.
Why contribute now?
The state has issued a $60 million cap on the program, and almost 60 rural Georgia hospitals are vying for those contribution dollars. This popular program easily met its cap in 2018 by July 1 and is expected to be reached in 2019 even earlier. Hundreds of potential donors were declined in 2018 after the cap was met, so we urge you to act early for inclusion.
SGRMC is here to meet the healthcare needs of Randolph County, which could mean you, your family member, your neighbor or your employee. Your support will help upgrade the hospital, all at no expense to you.
For information about the rural hospital organization expense tax credit, visit the Georgia HEART website at www.georgiaheart.org or contact SGRMC’s marketing department at .